Family Law
Your Children

Strategies for when your spouse won’t agree to a divorce

On Behalf of | Jan 16, 2023 | Divorce

If you’re considering divorce in California, but your spouse won’t agree, you may feel stuck and uncertain about what to do next. You may be wondering if there’s anything you can do to change their mind or if you’ll be forced to stay in an unhappy marriage.

There are a few strategies you can try if your spouse won’t agree to a divorce, and it’s important to remember that every situation is unique. What works for one couple may not work for another, so finding an approach that feels right for you and your relationship is crucial.

How to handle your spouse’s refusal to agree to a divorce

It can be incredibly frustrating when you’re ready to move on with your life but your spouse won’t agree to a divorce. You may feel at a standstill, and there’s nothing you can do to change their mind.

There are a few things you can do if your spouse refuses to agree to a divorce:

  • Talk to them about why they’re unwilling to go through with the divorce. Try to understand their perspective and see if there’s any room for compromise.
  • Consider going to counseling or therapy together. This could help you both communicate better and work through any underlying issues causing the disagreement about the divorce.
  • You may need to file for a divorce without your spouse’s agreement if all else fails. This is called a contested divorce, which can be more complicated than an uncontested one.
  • No matter what you decide, it’s important to remember that you have rights. Don’t let someone else’s refusal stop you from achieving the life you want.

Managing the situation

While it can be challenging to manage a situation when your spouse won’t agree to divorce, you can still employ several strategies. First, you must remain patient and understanding with your spouse. Remember that the best outcome for both of you is one where all parties involved come out as emotionally secure as possible. Then, if necessary, seek counsel for any additional help or guidance in determining how to move forward with the matter at hand.