Family Law
Your Children

Bakersfield Guardianship Lawyers

California Non-Parent Child Custody Attorneys

Guardianship is essentially a method for a non-parent to obtain custody of a child. The non-parent may be a grandparent who wants to obtain guardianship of a grandchild, or an aunt or uncle seeking guardianship of a niece or nephew. At the Law Office of Michael L. Seidman, we use our more than 35 years of experience to guide you through the probate court system to help you become guardian of your loved one.

Call us at 661-520-5214 or contact us by e-mail to schedule a free consultation. We are lawyers dedicated to protecting your immediate and long-term interests, as well as those of your loved one.

When Is Guardianship Appropriate?

You may seek to obtain guardianship for a variety of reasons. Typically, it is granted when the parent or parents are unable to provide the child with the necessary care. Perhaps the child is being neglected and not getting appropriate medical care, or is not being sent to school. Perhaps the parent is incarcerated or involved in drugs.

The parent may fight to keep their child. Sadly, sometimes parents contest guardianship simply to avoid losing the public assistance they are getting. Our lawyers are here to see that the child’s best interests are looked after.

Different Types of Guardianship

Temporary or permanent guardianship are available, depending on the situation. Guardianship is further divided into guardianship of the person and guardianship of the estate. When people think of guardianship, they typically think of guardianship of the person. These guardians are granted the right to make decisions about health care, school, religion and other similar issues. Guardianship of the estate pertains to any assets the child may have. Our lawyers are prepared to help you obtain the type of guardianship most appropriate in your case.

Free Guardianship Consultation

Call 661-520-5214 or e-mail our law office to arrange a free consultation with a Bakersfield guardianship attorney.